
Sian,
Thanks for the letter/comment on my work. I am digesting it all. Forgive the following it is a stream of conciousness to be sure.
---------------
We had a marvellous weekend. It truly was exciting. We crossed The Wahiba Sands a sand desert, slept there in the middle of the sands, saw romantic visions - men riding and leading families of camels, including 4 baby ones. Woke up to thick mist and heavy heavy dew. Saw evidence of the effects of the recent rains on the sparse vegetation - stunning - Saw lizards, some that looked like scorpions with curling up tails tipped with black, another that was so big it looked like a dinosaur - but it moved very fast. Had a wonderful time with our friends in whose honour we were making the trip as they are leaving Oman in May. At the southern end of the desert we hit a coastal village and very friendly people - and the sea, drove along the coast which was dotted with fishing villages and loads of seagulls and cormorants who were hanging around for spare fish- drove in the waves - kids very excited, me very nervous... and then camped again along the coast before turning inland, crossing sabkha salt pans and more sand to visit and have lunch in the Prosopis (tree) woodland that grows in isolated areas along the edges of the sands. then a short distance of badly rutted graded road and home on the tarmac!
----------------
Got back and read your notes. Is Julie Arkell the one that makes what I called Alien Bunny creatures when I was teaching knitting at school I showed the children them and we all made our own three legged, one eyed, four eared creatures. The children liked that. I can only get one image of her work on the embroidery web site. And didn't get that magazine yet. But I have taken on board the concept, however my mind has moved me back to having a link between the arrangement and the source material... No matter I might not stay with this idea for long....
I like the idea of a wave or several waves... And for ease of transporting this piece it might end up being an installation assembled on site....
I am getting an idea of creatures caught in nets of sprung fishing lines. They are hooked onto it as if caught
where I place them will create series of waves across the net which hangs vertically.
DIAGRAM opposite show one vertical net (upper diagram) and two overlapping nets, hanging vertically, viewed from the front (lower diagram) Click to enlarge and see what I mean by vertical springs in the net structure.
If the creatures are suspended on nets of fishing line that have been shibori treated (heat set) into springy vertical lines in some areas....I will be able to incorporate an up and downmovement to the piece.
(The springs can be triangular springs, or rectangular springs.... as I did with the copper wire when we were looking at metallic.)
Waves of creatures might actually move in a wave like motion - although their weight might prevent this... I might have to use a heavy heavy fishing line....????
A more interesting installation would have several "curtains" of net+creatures.
I have shown merely two nets. There could be more if time allowed.
They could have different species on the different nets - just like fishing nets are designed to catch different species.
I don't imagine this to be a huge piece.
I could keep a rectangular (landscape) format in keeping with a fish tank idea!
No comments:
Post a Comment