Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Hollow hemisphere


This one is just an arrangement of bits that I think I could use to create one of my plastercene models. The tubes are of shibori bubble wrap and the red and black one shows how I can incorporate threads within them, I can also wrap them and stitch them so they could become quite richly embroidered. The tricky bit will be to find the right threads to do this.

I can make feelers out of bubble wrap - tassels, I copied the idea I had done in metal before - I have shown also a metal one.
The worry I have had this week has been the necessity of getting away from the Blue Peter look, where the creatures look like a collage of different materials instead of a homogenous animal. I think in the hollow sphere I may be getting close to what I want.

The sphere has metal shards inside it and I rather like this, they can be made to hang and loop around the frame. I very delicate piece, but why not? You may not see these in the image. The copper wire is there to secure the edge of the hemisphere but it needn't be wire, it could be a made thread or fishing line or wrapped line of any sort.... And I can incorporate fabric and beads etc into the body, (calyx) of the creature - see above/below?

One other point about the sphere that I forgot to add in its caption (see below, perhaps). I am trying to get the spines of the creature to be made from thicker fishing wire that I can thread throught he structure or knot onto it. The distal ends will be ornamented too with beads or hanging antennae - frayed threads... at least I have this in mind to try.

No comments: